BENEFITS OF GLOBE PROGRAM
For the GLOBE program to positively impact our society, it requires immense support from its stakeholders; that is the learners, educators, scientist, partners and volunteers. However, it also promises huge benefits to these stakeholders. Some of these benefits include:
- For students or learners: The GLOBE provides a platform to build the capacity to do scientific research investigations – to be a scientist. GLOBE supplies a way for students and others to gather research-quality data for the purpose of understanding the world, to organize data into useful and coherent informational patterns, and to apply information to real questions and problems. Through GLOBE, learners gain an understanding of why the scientific method and data are important and how they can be used to study and understand the Earth as a system.
- For teachers and educators: The GLOBE program involves working with an international community of teachers, scientists, students and others to achieve inquiry-based instruction and thus provides an avenue for teacher professional development. While GLOBE is not a curriculum, it is widely adaptable into many different curricula covering multiple subjects applicable to primary and secondary grade levels and beyond.
- For scientists: GLOBE program is a shared source of research-quality environmental data produced following a set of consistent measurement protocols using instruments that meet established specifications. These data are broadly applicable to research investigations ranging from the local to the global. GLOBE also offers a meaningful way for scientists to interact with and mentor teachers and students and provide expertise to them. Scientists also benefit from experiences with teachers and addressing the questions of students.
- For the international community, GLOBE provides a framework where students, teachers, educators, and scientists can engage in connecting, sharing, and collaborating with a worldwide community of partners focused on a better scientific understanding of the Earth system. The GLOBE program also offers rich opportunities for fulfilling project and mission education, community engagement and outreach requirements and demonstrating broader impact of government funded projects.
- Addressing the Sustainable Development Goals: The GLOBE program seeks to realize a number of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), key one being SDG Goal 4 which seeks to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all. The program also addresses Goal 13, 14 & 15, which focus on aspects of climate change and the ecosystem/environment as well as Goal 6 which deals with issues related with water management.